MGTOW - The Red Pill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Shopping Guides
For tech product reviews, see Myxa - buying advice on tech and electronics.
Similar topics

Privacy - thought this deserved its own thread

+2
    WakingUp
    airs
    6 posters

Go down

Privacy - thought this deserved its own thread Empty Privacy - thought this deserved its own thread

Post by airs Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:42 pm

I posted this in another thread, but after finding out that Nacho is posting a user's email publicly I wanted to put this in its own thread so everyone sees it:

Hi guys ... I've been a long time lurker on MGTOWforums and was excited I finally had the chance to register, but that didn't work out haha.

Anyway, in light of recent events.. I think it's important to explain some basic security precautions when posting on MGTOW related forums.

I've seen these social justice warrior/feminist people who have too much time on their hands try to dox people (getting their personal information and spreading their posting history/stuff they do online to their employers/friends/family). It happened last year on reddit when some SRS feminists doxed the moderator of a subreddit that had candid pictures of women on the street (search up Violentacrez if you want to learn more). They released his information and he was fired from his job.

To keep that from happening, it's important that you guys not post identifying information and to register with a DIFFERENT email address than your personal/work/official email address. For example, if you have a facebook account set to public and the email address of members from MGTOW forums was hacked all it takes is pasting your email address into the facebook search bar to get your name, your friends and family names, etc.

So be careful and set your social media sites to private (twitter, facebook, google plus, youtube).

Also don't use the same username you've used on non-mgtow related sites. This is an easy way to get doxed ... you may think no one is motivated enough to search your username on google and go through all your accounts online, but you'd be surprised.

Stay safe.

Last edited by airs on Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

airs

Back to top Go down

Privacy - thought this deserved its own thread Empty Re: Privacy - thought this deserved its own thread

Post by WakingUp Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:48 pm

You would be amazed how many members at HB who have signed up with a work email address or what is quite obviously their real name.

I once had a member start trouble, so for fun I googled the email he had signed up with (using his real name). The guy was a registered sex offender and I even found a photograph of him.

Last edited by WakingUp on Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
    WakingUp
    WakingUp

Back to top Go down

Privacy - thought this deserved its own thread Empty Re: Privacy - thought this deserved its own thread

Post by Nicotine_Fiend Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:03 pm

This is very good advice.

I would add that anyone who used an email address linked to facebook, to register on the old forums, should modify their facebook account details in order that typing the address into the "friend" search does not bring up their profile...

Those email addresses are now in the hands of either a feminist or a madman, possibly both; and should be considered liabilities - "N" made it clear that she/he intends to use them.

Nicotine_Fiend

Back to top Go down

Post by Macke Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:19 pm

In another forum, there was chatter a while back that Nacho could be a feminist plant. I don't think that's the case, I remember when he signed up with the ProBoards forum, he just seemed like a regular guy. There's no way he could have anticipated the closure of that forum and then position himself to lead the new site.

With all the worry and concern about keeping on message and getting rid of trolls and not giving ammo to the powers-that-be who might take down the site - it turns out HE was the person to be most worried about. It's just so weird.

Macke

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:33 pm

Unfortunately this entire experience for me today has caused me to rethink the notion of posting in internet forums at all. I was never much of a "poster" anyway (MGTOW or any forum for that matter). If this hasn't been a "lesson learned" for me, I don't know what is.

One I'm sure that this whole ordeal is over and done with, I doubt I'm gonna be much of a contribution. Honestly, the sting of the events of today totally eclipse my desire to share my opinions and engage in conversation online anymore. Ironically, Nacho taught me a valuable lesson: Unless you're an IT genius, you're not really anonymous.

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromnir Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:30 pm

I am rather dismayed at how the "Facebook generation" seems to place little importance on privacy. I am amazed by the things people will post, right there with their actual name and photo right next to it. Pseudonyms are obviously not 100% secure, but they are at least enough maintain privacy from casual observers.

I realized long ago that it is impossible to keep all personal information about oneself off the net. As a sort of pre-emptive strike, I have gone the opposite direction and have a lot of "non-information" posted about myself. In that, I mean dozens (perhaps even hundreds) of various social media accounts attached to my name. These accounts have no real information, just some innocuous postings, and they are fairly well linked to each other. If you can't keep information off the net, at least making someone really dig for it will help ward off all but the most determined.

As for people in my personal life, I don't think it's much of a secret that I'm a MGHOW. I've never used any of the specific keywords (e.g. red pill, MGTOW, MGHOW) or quoted any rhetoric. However, I also haven't hidden my indifference and/or outright avoidance of marriage, children, or relationships. I display indifference towards sex, which has led some of my friends to wonder if I'm asexual.
    Gromnir
    Gromnir

Back to top Go down

Post by airs Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:12 am

Yes I am very surprised by people today who do not value their privacy online when everything they say online can be used against them in the future either in court, employers searching your name, etc

airs

Back to top Go down

Post by obmon Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:03 am

Gromnir wrote:I am rather dismayed at how the "Facebook generation" seems to place little importance on privacy.  I am amazed by the things people will post, right there with their actual name and photo right next to it.  Pseudonyms are obviously not 100% secure, but they are at least enough maintain privacy from casual observers.

I realized long ago that it is impossible to keep all personal information about oneself off the net.  As a sort of pre-emptive strike, I have gone the opposite direction and have a lot of "non-information" posted about myself.  In that, I mean dozens (perhaps even hundreds) of various social media accounts attached to my name.  These accounts have no real information, just some innocuous postings, and they are fairly well linked to each other.  If you can't keep information off the net, at least making someone really dig for it will help ward off all but the most determined.

As for people in my personal life, I don't think it's much of a secret that I'm a MGHOW.  I've never used any of the specific keywords (e.g. red pill, MGTOW, MGHOW) or quoted any rhetoric.  However, I also haven't hidden my indifference and/or outright avoidance of marriage, children, or relationships.  I display indifference towards sex, which has led some of my friends to wonder if I'm asexual.

I would argue against that tactic. All you are doing is laying more clues for them to create a net or map of your life. Irregular information won't hide the few bits of real information once a computer expert gets a hold of it.

I personally use this name on everything. All tied to a single gmail. Only place on the web my real name is used is on LinkedIn.

But.. i think you could relax a bit with your concerns.. most of your data is accumulated by computer algorithms. Your info is lost within an unholy amount of other data. The only way to properly extrapolate that data is by using algorithms to track patterns. And that won't happen till they build the first viable quantum computer.
    obmon
    obmon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down